- Applying for 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4220.pdf
- Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4221pf.pdf
- Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf
Stuff needed to 'get' 501c3 status
Primary task masters: Dan and ???
Get a Seattle City Business license - $67 with late fees and credit/debit surcharge.
DONE by mfoster...but paperwork was to arrive via postal mail... maybe Jon has it?
- Customer # (Business license #) : 769603
- Legal Name: FREE GEEK SEATTLE Trade Name: FREE GEEK SEATTLE
- 20226 23RD PL NW SHORELINE, WA 98177-2327
- NAICS: 811212, Computer and Office Machine Repair and Maintenance
- License types: BUSINESS LICENSE
- Renewal Date: 12/31/2014 Phone: (206) 486-6105
- Register our state business license
- File our state taxes with the Department of Revenue - We can almost assuredly declare no revenue, donations are not counted as revenue if your a state nonprofit. - Medium priority, can easily be backdated.
Create a EIN/TIN or create one if we don't have one.
DONE by mfoster..EIN Assigned (2014-04-25): 46-5557264
- Register a DUNS Number
Obtain a copy of our bylaws, or create them based on FG Portlands
DONE by mfoster
Obtain a copy of our Articles of Incorporation
DONE by Jon
- Secure a signed letter stating that we operate under the Filipino Community Center's 501c3 status & get a copy of the IRS Letter of Determination of 501c3 status for the Filipino Community Center.
Assigned to Jon
- Open a checking account @ BECU
- Open a credit card, build credit so we may avoid deposits on monthly services when we get them, and make getting loans or renting/leasing space significantly easier.
Create a Paypal account to use for sales@
DONE by Dan
- step by step guide by the IRS (url?) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4220.pdf
- FORM SS-4 - Application for EIN - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf
- Form 1023 - Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1023.pdf
ask to expedite to avoid waiting potentially 3 to 11 months.
There are a few steps here...
- draft the paperwork
- review with a lawyer
- file with the IRS.
Then we're a full blown 501c3 & could start sponsoring other up and coming nonprofits, give tax deductible donation receipts (we already do this often through FCS), etc
Stuff needed to 'keep' 501c3 status
Filing with govt
Form 990 & variants
Pub 4220 sez:
Section 501(c)(3) organizations must make their applications (Form 1023 or 1023-EZ) and the annual returns (Form 990, Form 990-EZ or Form 990-PF) available to the public for inspection, upon request and without charge (except for a reasonable charge for copying). Each annual return must be made available for a three-year period starting with the filing date of the return